Partner of Palmeiras, Betfair invites idols of the club to design a decisive game in Libertadores
Photo: Cesar Greco / Palmeiras / by Canon)

Palmeiras’ week promises to be intense due to the definition of vacancy for the Libertadores quarterfinals. To highlight the confrontation between the Brazilians, Betfair invited César Sampaio and Rivaldo to comment on what fans can expect from this national classic.

Verdão has the advantage on the scoreboard for the classification after beating Atlético Mineiro in Mineirão last week.

Repeating the confrontation between São Paulo and Minas Gerais for the third consecutive year in the continental tournament, the 2021 and 2022 retrospective shows that Palmeiras won in the knockout stages.

Interestingly, the games had no winners, and Palmeiras advanced based on goals scored away from home in 2021 and on penalties in 2022.

For this Wednesday’s meeting, the 9th, Betfair, a specialist in sports statistics, calculated that the highest probability is for Verdão to repeat the victory over Galo, as well as in the first game.

They are 51% (odd 1.86), against 24% (odd 4.0) for Atlético Mineiro. Equality on the scoreboard appears at 25% (odd 3.7).

Betfair website odds
Betfair website odds

Analysis by Cesar Sampaio

For César Sampaio, idol of Verdão and interviewed by Betfair to talk about the classic, Palmeiras has the advantage in the confrontation.

“I know Felipão well and I know how much he will mobilize his team for this Wednesday’s game, it could even be the team’s resumption, but even so I can believe in Palmeiras‘ classification, because the regular sequence of good games in the last matches, leaves Palmeiras as the big favorite.”

Asked about Luiz Felipe Scolaris mystique at Libertadores, the former midfielder analyzes that his coach in the 1999 continental title could give work to Abel Ferreira. Felipão lifted the cup in 1995, with Grêmio and 1999, with César Sampaio’s Palmeiras.

“When it comes to Felipão, who has an incredible history in the Libertadores, Palmeiras has to be extra careful, as it seems that one was born for the other. Be careful with Felipão, there are two titles and two runners-up” .

“Even I think that Palmeiras is more prepared, and playing with a low margin of error, believing that Abel Ferreira‘s team will be able to ratify the classification”, added Sampaio.

Cesar Sampaio
Photo: Betfair

Regarding the decision at Allianz Parque, home of Palmeiras, César Sampaio left his guess for the match: “In the first match it was an intense game, at the beginning Atlético made it difficult for Palmeiras with set pieces, Palmeiras blocked their opponent well and in this second match it will be a great derby of Brazilian football. I believe it will be a great game, it will be the game of life for miners”.

“If they play openly, going on the attack, the chance of an effective counterattack by Palmeiras could wreak havoc on the other side, creating great difficulties in the match for Felipão. I am not saying that the game is open, but I see Palmeiras with a 70% chance of qualifying, against 30% for Atlético Mineiro if I bet on Betfair”, analyzed the former midfielder.

César Sampaio’s predictions contrast with Betfair’s analysis: there are 87% of Palmeiras advancing to the quarterfinals, against just 13% of Atlético Mineiro.

Rivaldo’s Analysis

Rivaldo, who played for Palmeiras and for the Brazilian national team with César Sampaio, believes that Palmeiras will qualify against Galo.

“Palmeiras went through some difficult moments a few rounds ago in the Brasileirão, they are recovering, and now they have everything to win the classification against Atlético, I believe that the team will still go far in the competition and I place them among the finalists of the Libertadores. “

Rivaldo also named which clubs should reach the final, which will be played at Maracanã, in November. “I believe it will be a Brazilian final between Palmeiras and Flamengo, the Argentine teams evolved well this year, but even so, the Brazilian teams will not be surprised and will make a Brazilian final again”, concluded Rivaldo.

Photo: Betfair

To qualify in the tie against Atlético, Abel Ferreira’s team could even tie the game at Allianz Parque, as they won the first leg 1-0. A slim defeat takes the decision to penalties. There is no qualifying goal criterion in this year’s competition.

Betfair is the Palmeiras betting site

Betfair has been the official betting sponsor of Palmeiras since May 2022. During this period, Alviverde Paulista won four men’s titles (Recopa Sul Americana 2022, Paulistão 2022 and 2023 and the Brasileirão 2022), while in women’s football, where it is the master sponsor, are two titles, Paulistão 2022 and Libertadores Feminina 2022.